For many people camping is not just a place to stay but an experience!
Of course, whether you camp in a tent, camper van, yurt or RV, there are special memories to be made, particularly if you are sharing them with friends, family or loved ones.
Here is our simple guide to making those camping moments a little more special, fun and comfortable:
Know Before You Go!
- Check the weather.
- Check checklists
- Bring directions or GPS
- Don't forget emergency Supplies
|Decorate. Make it yours.|
- Pitch your tent on level ground
- Separate eating and sleeping areas
- Designate a wet area for water and clean up
- Designate a trash area. Keep food off the ground!
- Designate a Pet Place
- Keep things you need often handy!
- Accessorize with camping furniture, shelters, sports equipment, camper kitchen
- Decorate. Make it yours. Yes, you heard us. A great project for the kids! Find flowers for the table, put up a flag or sign, make a menu, make it happy.
- Matches: It is helpful to bring them in a waterproof container.
- Logs: In different sizes. Note: Many national and state campsites don't let you bring logs because of infiltrating insects and decease, so you must buy them at the Camp Store. Check First!
- Fire Starters: Many easy ways to make them (See our collection of DIY Fire Starters)
- Build it: For a campfire, the Log Cabin style is considered best or Tee Pee style
- Cooking: Let the logs burn for 30 minutes, that's the ideal temperature.
|How to make a Campfire|
- Cooking. Why not let the kids cook! Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
- Dutch Oven Cooking is a campers favorite
- Hot coffee, Hot cocoa
- With Smores! Try new recipes!
- Campfire songs and campfire stories
- Camp cocktails. Doesn't have to be liquor to be fun!
- Start a tradition!
|Play a game or make one|
- Nature walk
- Natural scavenger hunt
- Invent a game
- Play a game or board game
- Write in a nature journal.
- Have pajamas and toiletries in an easily available spot.
- Prepare individual bed/bath kit for each person with: PJ's/ towel / soap / toothbrush / toothpaste etc
- Have flashlights readily accessible
- Night time story
|What you need and why|
- Camping essentials. Items you need in any situation while camping or outdoors.
- Read more about what you need and why
- Camper and RV Upcycle Ideas
- Roadtrip, Picnic and Camping Ideas
- Renovated VW Campervan Ideas
- Emergency Survival Ideas